About Joel Bakal
During his career, Joel has successfully engaged across multiple industries and served in progressive capacities for public and private, stand-alone and decentralized organizations. Joel has a demonstrated record of performance, excelling in both high-growth and cash-constrained/turnaround environments. He has delivered value through assessing the market conditions and understanding the business capabilities to formulate strategies and collaborate with colleagues from the board room to the break room. He earns trust through engagement and has developed strategic partnerships working with owners, CEO’s and managers of 50+ organizations whose annual revenues ranged between $5 Million and $200 Million.
Since 2007, Joel has been providing financial and operational turnaround expertise to middle market companies, typically held by owner-founder or private equity firms. These discreet engagements involved entering organizations enduring challenging business cycles, assessing and developing strategic plans while simultaneously executing the day-to-day tactical activities needed to stabilize the environment.
Joel understands how to access information from and leverage financial and operational systems to develop and understand key performance metrics and enhance financial reporting. More importantly, he can utilize the data to drive change and improve performance through the implementation of operational scorecards, profitability forecasts and cash management tools.
Most recently, Joel has served in a consulting capacity leading numerous small-to-medium sized businesses through discreet, intense operational and financial projects which have consistently yielded significant returns through improved efficiencies and change management.
His career highlights include:
- CFO for two decentralized financial organizations (3000+ employees) who provided cradle-to-grave outsourced marketing services to Fortune 500 retail, financial, pharmaceutical and high-tech companies
- Help lead Logistics operation through 400% growth over 10-year period
- Successfully navigated company through contested Chapter 11 while simultaneously growing EBITDA 11%
- Directed the sell-side transaction for $20 Million direct marketer
He has worked with companies in the following industries:
- Direct Marketing
- Logistics & Warehousing
- Inbound and Outbound Call Centers
- Wholesale Distribution
- 3rd Party Fulfillment
- Real Estate Development and Management
- Government Subcontracting
Joel has extensive expertise and a proven track record in:
- Cash flow forecasting and liquidity generation
- Profit planning and managing operational performance
- Financial modeling and data analytics
- Sales performance and compensation design
- Customer, product and departmental profitability optimization
- Corporate transactions including restructuring, divestment and integration
- Managing non-accounting functions including human resource, information technology and legal departments
- Project Management, including software implementations
Joel resides with his wife, Elizabeth, and 2 youngest children in Davidsonville, MD which is centrally located within 30-45 minutes of Baltimore, Annapolis, Washington DC and McLean, VA. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Finance from City University of New York – Baruch College